Monday, July 13, 2015

Keep Holding On

When one thinks he has seen everything one week being here in Ashtabula county he is so mistaken when the next week rolls around.  This week has been the no car because of the crash week.  It has been a learning experience for me.  We have had to ask people for rides all week and walk a lot.  Half way through the week I thought of the song Keep Holding On and I though it applied really well.  I just had to keep going and I know I'll make it through.  Just one of those fun weeks.

This song could also apply to a story I heard this week from a highway patrol man.  His name is Bro. Thayne and he is a member.  On one of the roads there was a guy who was pulled over for letting things go (if you know what I mean) in the middle of the road.  He was on a tractor and just held on while he released his load.  To make it better, he wiped with his socks.  I busted up laughing thinking how lazy people really are.

So this week has been another crazy ride.  On Thursday we went to a house and the mother, Cathy, was distraught.  She thought her child was out making trouble and doing drugs.  Her child is 11 by the way.  She confessed to us that she smokes weed and her child stole some of her product.  We found the child and to be honest he seemed fine.  We went back to report to the mother and she had a belt out ready to whip him.  It just was very sad.  I wanted to do something but it was out of my control.  The 11 yr old was baptized and is a member of the church.  He just didn't seem like a guy who would do drugs.  People are surprising.

Story number two takes place on Friday.  We have a former investigator, Dori, who totally was just interested in financial support (a lot of past investigators are) and who totally dissed on our church.  Well on Friday she text us to see if we could go to Walmart and pick her up some food.  She said she had money (did not) but just had no way to get there.  We laughed and told her we were busy.  She texted again and ask if we could do it tomorrow.  We told her that we were busy all tomorrow.  We didn't outright say no but instead gave hints that she didn't pick up.  Our mistake.  Anyways she texted back and asked if there is any day we could do it.  We then told our purpose of why we are here and that no we will not do it.  She was quite for awhile while we went along our ways.  Later we figured out she spent all her money on candy and pop.  We laughed but then she texted back again wanting help.  We just said no.  Her partner, lesbian she is, also tried to get us to help her.  This whole thing was just a laughing moment.  It is so crazy here in this county of Ashtabula. Just so funny but I love it so much.  I love laughing with the crazies and realizing how much I really do have.

Well those are the most memorable moments of the week.  I have found love in cleaning.  I just love to clean and make things clean.  Cleanliness is happiness.  That is why I forgot my camera and no pictures will be coming in this week.  Sorry to all those who wanted to see me but not this week.  I take a picture a day so next week will be very packed with pictures.  I'm one who says that a picture captures memories better than writing in a journal.  I still write but not as detailed.  I have also learned that I am always cold.  I am going to buy gloves to wear to church in the middle of the summer.  

For personal study this week I went through the Tropical Guide and looked up scriptures with the word faith.  I found so many scriptures and found love in a lot of them.  Some of my favorites were in the New Testament.  I also looked up scripture with Humility.  I have fallen in love with doing this.  I love looking in the Tropical Guide and finding scriptures.  It is a great way to  learn about topics and to get better acquaintedwith the scriptures.  I am going to do that with all of the Christlike Attributes so that I can become closer to Christ.  

Well I love my area no matter how wacky they are.  I love that I speak English. I the stories I hear.  I love my mission.  I will continue to have my eye single to the glory of God.

With Love,

Elder Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment