Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Cold as ice

That is honestly what I feel like.  The weather has gotten so bitterly cold and it is not terribly fun.  The other day we were tracting in -4 F wind chill weather.  Oh so much fun. 

So last week we actually played soccer as a zone and we got lost of time.  We had an appointment at 5 and so we had a very short time emailing.  I love soccer and I am too competitive to really try to play with missionaries.  It makes me mad.  But I still love it.

So some fun facts from he last two weeks:

1. We killed a mouse!!!  We saw him one day run across and we were like "we need to kill him." That led us to buy a mouse trap and we put cheese on it.  Well he would eat the cheese but wouldn't die.  We kept this going until the Louie was probably a fat happy mouse.  The score Louie 6 Missionaries 0.  Well someone told us peanut butter and so we used it.  Hah we ended up winning in the end.  Louie 8 Missionaries 1.  It was very exciting.

2. I attended my first funeral on my mission.  We were really close with Sister Cross and her passing was a complete surprise.  It supposedly was a blood clot.  Anyways, when we were there we got to meet Scott Anderson the guy who directed The Best Two Years.  It was cool to shake his hand.  

3. We started teaching a pastor.  His name is Ron.  He was a pastor from a church that is no longer there.  We gave him an ARP book because he loves to help people move on from their addictions.  As we were talking conversation change and it ended up on prophet.  We started talking about prophets and he was like "hey I have a district supervisor same thing".  We laughed inside and we were like NO!!!.  It just was a funny experience of the week.

4. So I don't know if I have talked about our investigator Montana.  Well now he is a former.  He was so amazing.  He wanted to learn and he would have been perfect.  Sadly, he talked to his landlord and now he is not investigating.  So the lesson I learned here was never to talk to your landlord about religion.

5. I found someone else who does not like fruit!!! There is another missionary, Elder Brewer, who, like me, cannot stand fruit.  It was so fun to talk to him and to relate how we both can't.

6.  We have started teaching this guy name Bill.  He is solid.  I am so happy.  He right now is not willing to change but he said that if he feels like he needs to he will make that change.  It was so great to hear that.  I absolutely love it.

7. We also starting to teach a sweet lady named Carol.  We are helping her with family history so that was so much fun.

8. Learned today that I am getting a new companion named Elder Hale.  All I know.

I love my mission.  I love the joy that this gospel can bring into people's lives.  I love to be there to see and to help them.

The quote I have been working with is by Spencer W. Kimball.  It says "Great women and men are always more anxious to serve than to have dominion".  That is a great quote for me who love to have power.  I love to be in charge.  I am trying to just find opportunities to serve others especially when I keep my eye single to the glory of God.  

Regards,

Elder Vance


Brother Perry. A favorite member


Exchanges with Elder Brewer


#nofear. Standing on Lake Erie


#eastside. His area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment